Ceviche is a light and simple appetizer to make for summer entertaining. The bream is a lightly flavored fish that perfectly pairs with the fresh and bright flavors of the lime, avocado, and cilantro. You can serve this as is, or try it on top of lightly grilled tortillas for a portable and simple appetizer. This dish comes together quickly, great for when you are pressed for time.
- 1 bream (very fresh)
- 1/2 red onion (small)
- 2 lime
- fresh cilantro
- cabbage leaves
- 1/2 avocado
- garlic (optional)
- 1Dice onion and sprinkle with the juice of half a lime and season with salt to taste.
- 2Set aside.
- 3Rinse larger cabbage leaves, drain and wipe dry.
- 4Halve avocado and remove pit, season to taste and brush with juice of remaining lime half.
- 5For the fish, remove skin, trim and debone, if needed.
- 6To remove skin, place a long knife blade between skin and flesh at the tail.
- 7Grasp the tail skin and move the knife in a zig-zag pattern to the top.
- 8Remove bones.
- 9Remove tenderloins from bream and cut each in half, being careful to remove flesh from the bone.
- 10There should be no bones remaining.
- 11Cut the bream into medium-sized pieces and season with salt and lime juice.
- 12Serve immediately, as the lime juice will cook the fish.
- 13To serve, place a cabbage leaf on the bottom of serving dish.
- 14Arrange fish and onion mixture on cabbage leaf and add a piece of avocado.
- 15Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.