- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (cold, cut into pieces)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- sparkling crystal sugar (for topping)
- Place the Smart Oven+ Baking Stone Attachment in oven. Select STONE BAKE mode and preheat to 400°F.
- In a small bowl, beat egg with milk to make an egg wash; set aside. Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a food processor and pulse to combine. Add the cut up butter and pulse until the mixture is crumbly. Transfer flour mixture from food processor to a large bowl.
- Add buttermilk to the flour mixture, stir with a wooden spoon to combine; dough will begin to stick together. Add another 1-2 tablespoons buttermilk if dough is too dry, but don’t get it too wet.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and pat it into a 6-inch round about 1½-inches thick. Cut the round into six wedges. You can also use a round biscuit cutter to make the scones smaller. Place the cut-out dough onto a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet, spacing evenly. Brush the top of the scones with egg wash and sprinkle with sparkling crystal sugar.
- Transfer the parchment paper with scones to the preheated Baking Stone, and bake for 20 minutes until scones are light golden in color and firm to the touch.
- Remove scones from oven by transferring them on the parchment paper back to the baking sheet. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- TIP: The flour mixture is your basis for the scones and can be kept in a sealed bag in the refrigerator for up to one month. You can double the recipe to keep more dough on hand if you prefer. 2 scones = 1 cup of flour mixture to ¼-cup of buttermilk. You can also purchase a powdered cultured buttermilk - it lasts long and is kept in refrigerator after opening.