Tasty way to wake up. You can even make these ahead of time. Serve with seasonal fresh fruit.
- 16 ounces pork sausage (regular breakfast)
- 16 ounces pie shells (deep-dish, thawed)
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half & half
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Defrost frozen pie crusts.
- Brown pork sausage in medium skillet over medium-high heat until sausage is no longer pink, breaking sausage into large chunks. Drain sausage on plate lined with a paper towel.
- Mix together eggs, half-and-half, salt and pepper in large bowl using wire whisk. Stir in ½ cup of mozzerella cheese.
- Pour egg mixture evenly in the 2 pie shells. Spoon sausage mixture evenly over egg mixture. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese equally on each top of each pie.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes. Transfer pies to cooling rack; let stand for about 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm.
- To make ahead: Prepare and bake pies as directed. Cool for up to 1 hour at room temperature. When completely cool, tightly wrap each pie in heavy foil and freeze. To reheat, unwrap pie(s). Cover edge of crust with foil. Bake in a heated 350 degrees F. oven about 40 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted near center(s) registers 160 degrees F. Let stand about 10 minutes before serving.