Salads usually are made to pack in the vegetables and keep you low on calories. If that is your goal, this Bread and Grilled Tomato Salad is not for you. This is a hearty salad. Ingredients for this two-portion dish includes slightly stale bread rolls, butter, minced garlic, tomatoes, purple onion, minced fresh basil, ground tarragon, extra-virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, ground black pepper, and feta or queso fresco cheese.
- 2 bread (medium rolls, slightly stale)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 4 tomatoes (quartered, with seeds removed)
- 1/4 cup red onion (cut into thin half moons)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil (minced)
- 1 pinch tarragon (ground)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and ground black pepper
- feta cheese (or queso fresco)
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the garlic. Remove from heat after 1 minute.
- Cut the bread into strips approximately 1 1/2 centimeters wide, and spread with the garlic butter. Grill until golden brown in spots and cut into cubes. Set aside.
- Grill the tomatoes with the skin side down. Remove from heat and cut into cubes.
- Mix the bread, tomatoes, onion, basil, tarragon, olive oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper together in a salad bowl.
- Serve, sprinkled with cheese.
|Calories1930Calories from Fat470|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat470|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.