Bread CakeL'Antro dell'Alchimista
If you have leftover cake and want to repurpose it, this recipe is for you. Similar to bread pudding, it features an eggy mixture of ricotta, candied fruit or chocolate chips and orange flower water, which gets combined with leftover, baked cake that has been soaked in milk. It bakes in the oven until cooked through and custard-like. Unlike bread pudding, however, it's served chilled and sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- 700 grams cake (Easter, or other similar sweet bread, diced)
- 500 milliliters milk
- 2 eggs
- 250 grams ricotta cheese
- essence (orange blossom)
- candied fruit (or chocolate chips)
- 1Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- 2In a bowl, soak the bread in the milk.
- 3In another bowl, whisk together with the eggs, cheese, and a few drops of orange blossom essence.
- 4Add a handful of candied fruit or chocolate chips.
- 5Pour into a parchment paper-lined round cake tin.
- 6Bake for 1 hour.
- 7Serve chilled sprinkled with powdered sugar.