Ready in under an hour, this savory bread is easy enough to prepare for a weekday dinner but also zesty enough to serve as an appetizer for a casual dinner party. During baking, the dough puffs up around the flavorful filling in delightful fashion. Oil-packed tuna, fresh tomatoes, and regional spices give the bread South American accents. The bread is best served warm from the oven, drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkled with Parmesan.
- 4 eggs
- 450 milliliters milk
- 225 milliliters olive oil
- 220 milliliters grated parmesan cheese
- 220 grams corn starch
- 230 grams all-purpose flour
- 5 grams salt
- 15 grams baking powder
- 1 gram paprika
- 500 grams tomatoes (cut into large pieces, if using cherry tomatoes they should be cut in half)
- 320 grams canned tuna (packed in olive oil)
- 100 grams balsamic vinegar
- 125 grams parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Use a 26 to 28 centimeter cake pan, a springform pan would be best.
- Line the bottom of the pan with wax paper and grease the sides.
- Combine the eggs, milk, oil, parmesan cheese, cornstarch, flour, salt, baking powder, and the paprika, and beat until the batter is smooth. Pour the batter into the pan and add the filling on top, making it fall into the batter, otherwise it will remain on top.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, making sure the cake bakes well in the center.
- Remove the cake from the oven and serve.