- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 cup light olive oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons orange liqueur (such as Grand Marnier)
- 3/4 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup nuts (finely chopped*)
- 1 cup juice (from 2-3 large POM Wonderful Pomegranates** or 1 POM Wonderful 100%% Pomegranate Juice)
- 1 cup pomegranates (arils from 1-2 large POM Wonderful)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan and press nuts into the bottom and sides of the pan.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, orange zest and salt; stir to blend.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat oil and sugar until well blended.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add orange liqueur and mix well.
- Add half of the flour mixture, and half of the buttermilk; stir to blend.
- Stir in the remaining flour and buttermilk.
- Spread batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until done.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, invert and cool for another 5 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar (optional). Serve with a tablespoon of pomegranate sauce per slice.
- Score 1-2 fresh pomegranates and place in a bowl of water. Break open the pomegranates under water to free the arils (seed sacs). The arils will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the membrane will float to the top. Sieve and put the arils in a separate bowl. Reserve 1 cup of the arils from fruit and set aside. (Refrigerate or freeze remaining arils for another use.)
- Mix together in a saucepan pomegranate juice, sugar and orange liqueur.
- Cook until mixture is reduced and thick. Stir in orange zest and pomegranate arils. Pour over cake slices when serving.
- Pan may be dusted with flour to omit chopped nuts.
- For 1 cup of juice, cut 2-3 large POM Wonderful Pomegranates in half and juice them with a citrus reamer or juicer. Pour the mixture through a cheesecloth-lined strainer or sieve. Set the juice aside.
|Calories1280Calories from Fat570|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat570|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.