- 1 head red cabbage (cored and sliced with the)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 onions (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 1 apples (peeled, cored and diced)
- 1/2 cup red currant jelly
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine cabbage, sugar, salt and vinegar in a large bowl and marinate 15 minutes.
- Melt butter in 5-quart pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes or until transparent. Add apple and sauté 5 minutes more. Add cabbage mixture to pot and bring to a boil, reduce heat.
- Combine jelly, hot water, cloves and cinnamon. Add to cabbage mixture. Cover and simmer 1 hour or until tender. Serve immediately.