- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil (or canola oil)
- 1 shallot (chopped)
- 1 pound white button mushrooms (small)
- 1/2 pound pearl onions (peeled)
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock (chicken stock or broth)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme (plus sprigs for garnish)
- In a shallow dish, stir together the flour, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Dredge the chicken pieces in the seasoned flour. The chicken will be lightly coated.
- In a large pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes on each side total. Transfer to a platter.
- Add the shallot to the pan and saute until softened, about 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and saute until lightly browned, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the onions and saute until they begin to pick up some brown color, 2-3 minutes. (Note: You may need to add an extra tablespoon of olive oil during this process)
- Stir in the stock and wine and de-glaze the pan, stirring with a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits. Return the chicken pieces to the pan, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chicken and vegetables are tender, about 20-30 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, the chopped thyme, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- To serve, spoon chicken, vegetables and sauce over jasmine (or white) rice. Salad, asparagus or steamed broccoli makes a great side dish!
PER SERVING *
|Calories300Calories from Fat80|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat80|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.