Braided Kings’ RingsMadeleine Cocina
King cake is popular around mardi gras, where it makes for a delicious and festive celebration. A lightly sweetened yeast dough is studded with dried and candied fruits which adds a bit more sweetness and a touch of tartness. The dough is braided then shaped into a ring, an egg wash is applied before baking which gives it a light golden color and a shine for a beautiful finish.
- 1/2 kilogram flour
- 12 grams yeast
- 200 grams sugar
- 4 eggs (at room temperature)
- 150 milliliters milk (tepid)
- 100 grams butter (softened, at room temperature)
- 30 grams melted butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- candied fruit
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 eggs
- 1Place the eggs, milk, yeast, sugar, and flour into a mixer and mix well. Add the butter and continue to mix until the dough pulls away from the bowl. Add more flour if needed.
- 2Place into a greased baking dish, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside in a warm place until it doubles in volume.
- 3For the filling, melt the butter and mix in the sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- 4Divide the dough into sections, forming each into a ball and then rolling it out into a strip approximately 8 centimeters wide. Brush each strip with the melted butter mixture and place the candied fruit in a line from one edge of the strip up to the middle, leaving half of the strip free of fruit. Roll lengthwise.
- 5Divide each strip into two by cutting lengthwise. Twist together to form a braided circle.
- 6Place the formed rings into greased baking dishes, cover with plastic wrap, and allow to double in volume.
- 7Brush each ring with the egg mixture and bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and firm to the touch. Allow to cool.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1120Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.