- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 18 medium shrimp (peeled and deveined, shells reserved)
- 6 cups fish stock
- 1 carrot (peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 shallots (sliced)
- 3 celery stalks (chopped)
- 2 leeks (trimmed and sliced)
- 3 tomatoes (quartered)
- 1 large potato (peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes)
- 4 cloves garlic (bruised)
- 1 bunch chervil leaves (and stalks separated)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 pinch saffron
- 2 blue crabs (cleaned and quartered)
- 8 ounces sea bass fillets (skin removed, cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 18 clams (cleaned)
- 2 squid tubes (baby, cut into rings)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- chervil leaves (to garnish)
- crusty bread (to serve)
- For the stock, heat 1/2 each of the butter and olive oil in a medium saucepan on a medium-high heat. Cook the shrimp shells for 5 mins, until golden. Add the stock and simmer for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining butter and oil in large saucepan on medium-high heat. Add the carrot, shallot, celery, leek, tomato, potato, garlic and chervil stalks. Cook for 10 mins, until just beginning to brown. Add the wine and saffron and cook for 5 mins to evaporate the alcohol.
- Strain the stock through a sieve over the pan with the vegetables. Discard the shrimp shells. Simmer for 10 mins. Use an immersion blender to puree until smooth. (Or use a blender and return the mixture to the pan.)
- Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Add the crab and simmer for 3 mins. Add the shrimp, fish and clams. Return to a simmer and cook for 2 mins, until the seafood is almost cooked and the clam shells are opening.
- Stir in the squid and cook for 30 seconds (it will continue to cook in the hot broth after it's served). Stir in the lemon juice and season to taste.
- Ladle into bowls. Garnish with chervil leaves and serve with bread.
|Calories360Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.