Boston Cream CupcakesKitchenAid
- 1 cup whole milk
- 60 grams egg yolks
- 50 grams eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate (chopped)
- 200 grams eggs (separated)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup cake flour (sifted)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1To prepare cream filling, heat milk in small saucepan just until steaming. Remove from heat.
- 2Whisk egg yolks, whole egg, sugar and vanilla in bowl until well blended. Slowly add hot milk while whisking constantly to temper eggs. Add cornstarch; whisk until well blended. Return to saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat 3 to 5 minutes or until custard thickens and starts to bubble,stirring constantly. Transfer to bowl and cover with plastic wrap, pressing directly onto surface of mixture. Refrigerate until firm and completely chilled.
- 3To prepare ganache, heat cream in small sauce pan just until steaming. Pour cream over chocolate in bowl. Let stand 1 minute. Whisk vigorously until smooth and shiny. Set aside.
- 4To prepare cupcakes,preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12-cavity muffin pan with paper liners.
- 5Add egg whites to Bowl of KitchenAid® Artisan Stand Mixer. Attach Bowl and Wire Whip to Mixer. Turn to Speed 10 and beat until foamy. Stop Mixer and add 1 tablespoon sugar. Beat on Speed 10 until stiff peaks form. Transfer to small bowl. Wash and dry Mixer Bowl.
- 6Add flour, remaining ½ cup sugar, baking powder and salt to clean Mixer Bowl. Attach bowl and Flat Beater to Mixer. Turn to Speed 2 and mix 1 minute or until combined.
- 7Whisk milk, butter, egg yolks and vanilla in separate bowl until blended. Add to flour mixture. Turn to Speed 2 and mix 1 minute or until incorporated, scraping side of bowl as needed. Remove Bowl and Wire Whip. Add whipped egg whites to batter and gently fold with rubber spatula until blended.
- 8Scoop batter into prepared muffin pan. Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely.
- 9Spoon cream filling intopiping bag fitted with small round tip. Pipe filling into cupcakes in two different spots until you see it reaching the top of the cake. Dip tops of cupcakes in ganache.