- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or light olive oil)
- 1 pound beef stew meat
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups beef broth (divided)
- 1 3/4 pounds beets (roots only; use the greens for something else, such as Beet Greens Pasta, scrubbed and trimmed)
- 4 medium carrots (finely chopped)
- 3 stalks celery (diced)
- 1 onion (large, chopped)
- 1 starchy potato (large, such as Russet, scrubbed and chopped)
- 1/2 pound savoy cabbage (thinly sliced into shreds, about 5 cups shredded)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt (use a bit less if using fine salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar, more or less to taste)
- 1/4 cup fresh dill (chopped, plus more for garnish if desired)
- sour cream (for garnish, optional)
|Calories180Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Corlis McCormack 22 Feb
absolutely wonderful! With that dolop of sour cream, heavenly. I use Beef stock, and a touch of butter...
Peter Ovesny 20 Jan
Good recipe. Personally I would tone down the cider and add a dash more allspice and another bayleaf. Works as a fantastic base recipe for borcht with beef.
Hungry Person 19 Oct 2017
Made some slight modifications — carmelized the onions and added a lot more black pepper. Soup turned out hearty, smooth, and well balanced between the sweetness of the veggies and the sourness of the vinegar.