very nice russian Borsch Family recipe, excellent in cold days and pretty healty
- 1 parsnip (cut in slices)
- 5 carrots (cut in slices)
- 2 stalks celery (cut in slices)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (or red,green, cut in slices)
- 1/2 white cabbage (ca 600 gr cut thin)
- 4 red beets (medium sized, cooked and shredded)
- 3 knobs garlic (pressed)
- 1 tomato paste (fried, / catchup)
- 3 sweet onions (middle sized, cut in small cubes)
- 3 liters water
- 2 potato (cut in small cubes)
- 2 tablespoons butter (or butter replacer)
- Peel the red beets, cut in quarters and cook in microwave for 20-25 min until soft, shred the beets and set aside
- Cut onions in cubes and fry in 2 tbl oil until golden and set aside
- In a large pot bring water to a boil
- Cut parsnip, carrots, celery, peppers in slices. Cut the Cabbage in thin stripes, best with Mandolin slices, hack the parsley and cut the potato in small cubes
- Add all ingredients from step 4, except the cabbage and the potatos into boiling water, add the onions and cook until soft.
- Add the cabbage, cook until ready (approx 15 min), then add the potatos cook until ready (approx. 10 min).
- Add shredded beets, bring to boil turn of immediatly, Add tomato, press in the garlic and add 2 TBLS butter.
- Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper, serve as a soup, garnish with a TBL of sour cream or cream fresh and some parsley or dill on top
- When you re-heat the Borsch, make sure that the soup will not boil again or the beets will loose their color.
|Calories200Calories from Fat35|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat35|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.