- 3 large potatoes
- 2 tablespoons brown mustard seeds
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 1/2 chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- salt (to taste)
- coriander leaf (for garnishing)
- Peel the potatoes and dice into bite sized pieces. fill a deep pan with water and boil the potatoes with a pinch of salt until they have cooked throughout.
- When the potatoes are done rinse under cold water, making sure the potatoes do not break.
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat up the oil. Once the oil is hot, (not so hot that a blue haze appears), add the mustard seeds and cover with a lid.
- Lower the gas to the medium setting. The seeds will soon start to pop; lower the heat and add the chili and turmeric power and stir. Ensure the powder mixture and seeds do not burn!
- Add the potatoes to the pungent oil and stir slowly for a minute until the potatoes are covered in the seeds and they turn a light yellow due to the turmeric.
- Remove from the heat and garnish with coriander.