How good do these look? They were an experiment that turned into something incredibly delicious. These blueberry, coconut and banana wholemeal muffins come in at around 175 calories and would be perfect for breakfast on the go – or perfect for a slightly less dignified situation of emotional eating in your pyjamas, listening to Adele and crying.
- 4 bananas (very ripe, around 315g)
- 25 grams dessicated coconut
- 100 grams blueberries (I used thawed frozen)
- 225 grams self raising flour (wholemeal)
- 110 grams light brown sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 100 grams low fat spread
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°c (350°f.)
- Set out 12-14 paper muffin cases on a tray, or lightly butter a muffin tray. I used a silicone muffin tray – it’s a godsend.
- Get your hands on your bananas. I mean this literally. Don’t be afraid to squish the bananas a bit in between your hands as you put them into the mixing bowl. Grab a fork and mash the banana further until it’s well mashed but don’t be too crazy about it – small lumps are fine.
- Add the two eggs, stirring them into the mixture followed by the low-fat spread and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour and coconut and stir well until the flour is incorporated.
- Finally, gently fold the blueberries into the mixture.
- Now the fun part – spoon the mixture into the muffin tins (I used about 2 tbsp per muffin.)
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden. Check the mixture is cooked through using a toothpick/knife, making sure it comes out clean.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the tray. Allow them to cool on a wire rack before you eat your weight in muffins.
|Calories170Calories from Fat20|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat20|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.