Chocolate paired with fruit is a treat from the heavens. This recipe for Blueberry and Chocolate Birthday Charlotte is sweet and tart. This is the perfect dessert for a dinner party, holiday gathering, celebration, or special occasion. Bring this to the party and you will see smiles on everyone’s faces. Be sure to pick up these ingredients the next time you go shopping for a sweet surprise the next family gathering.
- 250 grams chocolate (with 52% or more cocoa content)
- 100 grams salted butter (slightly)
- 4 egg yolks
- 40 grams sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 20 cookies (lady finger)
- 5 water
- 5 sugar syrup (cl cane)
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom water
- 100 grams blueberries
- chocolate mousse
- whipped cream
- cocoa powder (or chocolate chips)
- For the Mousse:
- Break the chocolate into pieces and melt over low heat over a double boiler.
- Add the butter and whisk. Then remove from heat.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time, whisking well. Set aside to cool.
- Beat the egg whites while pouring the sugar.
- Fold 1/4 of the whites into the chocolate, mix, then pour the rest.
- Mix well and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- For the birthday charlotte:
- Butter the bottom of a springform pan or other mold with charlotte (15cm).
- Cut out a disc of parchment paper, butter and place it on the bottom of the mold (buttered side up).
- In a deep dish, mix the syrup, water, cinnamon and orange flower water.
- Set aside 5 cookies for the top of the charlotte.
- Soak the others one at a time, very quickly, in the syrup mixture.
- Arrange them against the wall of the mold, the rounded side towards the outside.
- Line the entire outside of the mold with the cookies, leaving the center empty.
- Pour the chocolate mousse in the center, then lay a layer of blueberries.
- Cover with the reserved cookies, quickly soaked in the syrup mixture.
- Place the Charlotte on a plate the size of the mold.
- Wrap plastic film and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Unmold the charlotte, (preferably using the hinged mold) and then top with whipped cream.
- Sprinkle with cocoa powder or chocolate chips.