It's easy to make frozen yogurt by flavoring plain yogurt and then, well, freezing until icy in texture. Here, fresh blueberries, sugar, and lemon zest and juice are blended to a puree, then mixed with yogurt; to avoid overmixing, pulse rather than process. It's also helpful to taste the puree and adjust by adding more sugar and/or lemon juice to suit your tastes. Also, and importantly to achieving the proper consistency, chill the mixture in the refrigerator before churning in the ice cream machine.
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 1 1/2 cups greek yogurt (natural)
- Place the blueberries, sugar, lemon zest, and a few drops of lemon juice in a blender and grind to a puree. Add the yogurt and pulse to mix.
- Taste and add a couple drops of lemon juice or sugar if you think necessary.
- Refrigerate the mixture until it gets cold, and then place in the ice cream maker and follow the machine manufacturer's instructions.
- Note: in the original recipe, the blueberries heated with the sugar and the lemon zest, stirring always, until the berries soften; only then should they be ground.