- 4 eggs (separated)
- 1/2 vanilla bean seeds (scraped out)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (+ 2 tbsp)
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1/2 pound blueberries (+ 3 tbsp puréed)
- 1 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1 pound cream cheese
- 1 lemon (zested and juiced)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease and flour a 10 inch springform pan. Mix egg yolks and vanilla bean seeds. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites and 2 tbsp water, gradually adding 1/2 cup sugar and a pinch of salt. Fold into egg yolk mixture. Mix together flour, cornstarch and baking powder, sift over the egg mixture and gently fold in. Add butter, in batches. Mix 3 tbsp batter with puréed blueberries and fold into remaining batter until streaky. Transfer to prepared pan and smooth. Bake for 25 mins, or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for 3 hours.
- To finish, beat powdered sugar with cream cheese for 5 mins until soft and spreadable. Fold in lemon zest. Remove cake from pan and cut in 1/2 horizontally. Spread 1/3 of cheese mixture over bottom cake and press second cake gently on top. Spread with remaining cheese mixture. Place lemon juice, 1/2 lb blueberries and remaining sugar in a saucepan and simmer gently for 10 mins. Allow to cool then spread over top of cake.
|Calories320Calories from Fat150|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat150|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.