Filled with fresh blueberries, rhubarb, and orange juice, this elegant covered fruit pie makes a beautiful dessert centerpiece. Served with hot cream, this fruit pie is perfect for winter. Can also be made into individual sized pies.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup butter (cold)
- 7 tablespoons cold water
- 120 ounces rhubarb (cut in cubes)
- 1 pound blueberries
- 1 orange zest
- 100 grams turbinado
- 1 egg yolks (for gilding)
- 4 tablespoons corn starch
- cream (thick)
- Dough Preparation:
- Mix flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut the butter into the flour, and mix until obtaining a crumble dough consistency. Gradually add the water.
- Mix until the dough sticks on your fingers.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll out the dough into a mold. Save a portion for the top, preferably using a mold clip.
- Pie Filling:
- Combine the rhubarb, blueberries, orange juice and the cornstarch, then pour the filling.
- Arrange the dough strips on top.
- Make an egg wash mixture by whipping one egg yolk with a tablespoon of heavy cream.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes in the oven according to the color of the dough. If it starts to become too dark, put aluminum paper on top and let it cook for a few more minutes.
- Serve hot with thick cream.
|Calories890Calories from Fat300|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat300|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.