- 250 grams plain flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 50 grams butter (cold, cut into chunks)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 3 tablespoons greek yogurt (cold)
- 100 grams blue cheese (cold, crumbled, you may use less if you want a milder cheese taste)
- 1 egg (beaten, for the egg wash)
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/425°F, and line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and cumin.
- Using your fingertips, rub in the butter until you get a breadcrumb-like texture.
- In another bowl, beat the egg with the water and yogurt.
- Add to the flour and mix well with a wooden spoon to get a soft dough.
- Add the cheese, salt and pepper and mix to just combine.
- Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly.
- Pat out to a round 2cm/¾in thick. Use a 5cm/2in cutter to stamp out rounds and place on a baking sheet. Tip: cut the dough straight down. Don’t twist your cutter to take it out or the scone won’t hold its shape.
- Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
- Brush the tops of the scones with the beaten egg. Sprinkle with a little more cumin and/or sea salt.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.
|Calories190Calories from Fat70|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat70|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.