- 1 cup cake flour (about 4 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cocoa (tablespoons unsweetened dark, such as Hershey's Special Dark* I used 3 of Dutch processed)
- powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons light cream cheese (softened)
- 1 tablespoon 1% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon cocoa (unsweetened dark, such as Hershey's Special Dark)
- To prepare cake, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and 3/4 cup granulated sugar, stirring with a whisk; set aside.Place cream of tartar, salt, and egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in juice and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- Sift flour mixture over egg white mixture, 1/4 cup at a time; fold in after each addition.Spoon half of batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, spreading evenly. Break air pockets by cutting through batter with a knife. Sift 2 tablespoons cocoa over remaining batter; fold in. Spoon cocoa batter evenly over top of vanilla batter; break air pockets by cutting through cocoa layer with a knife.
- Bake at 325° for 55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan; cool completely. Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula. Invert cake onto a plate.
- To prepare glaze, place powdered sugar, cream cheese, milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Drizzle half of glaze over cake.Add 3/4 teaspoon cocoa to remaining glaze; stir well to combine. Drizzle cocoa glaze over cake. Refrigerate 5 minutes or until glaze is set. Garnish with strawberries, if desired.
PER SERVING *
|Calories500Calories from Fat20|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat20|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.