Black Pepper DoughnutsKITCHENAID
Making dough in my KitchenAid® Artisan ® Mini Mixer takes the strain out of making a batch of fresh doughnuts. I’m a traditionalist and much prefer a jam doughnut to any other filling, with the occasional exception of one filled with custard. My nieces and nephews love to help roll out the little balls of dough and squeeze jam into each before wolfing them down with sticky fingers.
- 600 grams blackberries (fresh or frozen)
- 600 grams jam sugar
- 1/2 lemon
- 30 black peppercorns (lightly crushed)
- 500 grams strong white bread flour
- 40 grams golden caster sugar
- 1 Tbsp. runny honey
- 12 grams fine salt
- 15 grams fresh yeast (crumbled, keep it away from the salt)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 lemon
- 150 grams lukewarm water
- 125 grams salted butter (softened)
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- sunflower oil (for deep frying)
- granulated sugar (for dusting)
- Start with the jam. Place a small plate in the fridge. Pick through the blackberries, discarding any remaining leaves or twigs.
- Place the fruit in a preserving pan or heavy-bottomed saucepan with the jam sugar, lemon juice and peppercorns. Set over a medium heat to come to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the plate from the fridge and spoon a little of the jam onto it and return it to the fridge for a minute. Push the jam on the plate with your finger; it should wrinkle when it is ready. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes