Black forest cake is a German classic, originating in the Black Forest region of Baden-Württemberg. These muffins capture all the cherry and chocolate flavor of the German favorite. Made with rich cocoa powder, melted dark chocolate, candied orange peel, cherries, and walnuts, these Black Forest Muffins are full of rich and decadent flavors. Sprinkle with powdered sugar after baking for a snowy and elegant finish. Bake time is 20 to 25 minutes.
- 125 grams butter
- 125 grams chocolate (70% cocoa)
- 1 medium egg
- 175 grams cane sugar
- 200 milliliters milk
- 150 grams greek yogurt
- 225 grams flour
- 40 grams cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 50 grams orange (candied, chopped into small pieces)
- 100 grams cherries (in natural juice, drained.)
- 60 grams walnuts (chopped)
- powdered sugar (to decorate.)
- Pre-heat the oven to 170C.
- Grease a muffin pan or insert paper cases into the muffin pan.
- Melt the chocolate with the butter on medium heat in the microwave, one minute at a time, stirring between stops, until the chocolate is completely melted. Set aside.
- Beat the egg with the sugar, milk, and yogurt.
- Add the melted chocolate and mix well.
- Add the cherries, candied orange, and walnuts, and mix again.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and pinch of salt over the mixture. Mix all the ingredients together with a spatula just enough for the dry ingredients to be completely blended.
- Transfer the mixture to the molds but do not overfill.
- Cook for 20–25 minutes.
- When cooled, sprinkle with powdered sugar to create a ‘snowy’ effect.
|Calories950Calories from Fat390|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat390|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.