Black Forest cake originated in Germany and although these are not the official German way of making them, they turned out really awesome and delicious! Sweet but not too sweet, with a homemade whipped cream topping and a cherry filled center, these…
are definitely a keeper!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY’S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 large can cherry pie filling
- chocolate bar, shaved (garnish)
- maraschino cherries in jar (garnish)
- Whipped Cream Topping: 1 cup heavy whipping cream, 2 tbsps. sugar, 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans or line 28 to 30 muffin cups with paper bake cups.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans or fill cups about 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Hollow out center of each cupcake (about 2 inches deep). Spoon about 1 tablespoon of cherry pie filling into each cupcake center.
- Pipe whipped cream topping onto each cupcake then garnish with shaved chocolate and cherry on top. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- *Note: Make sure to drain cherries(garnish) and dry on paper towels before placing on top of cupcakes to prevent juices from staining whipped cream.
- For Whipped Topping: Beat whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks forms and texture resembles whipped cream. Makes about 2 cups