Made from a few budget-friendly ingredients, this simple recipe starts with making yeasted dough. Once it has risen and is kneaded, it's rolled out and placed on a baking sheet, where it's spread with syrupy chopped cherry filling. After it's topped with a second sheet of dough, the bread is sealed, garnished with cherries and transferred to the oven to bake for 45 minutes. A sprinkle of powdered sugar finishes it off once it has time to cool.
- 20 grams yeast (brewer’s)
- warm water
- 300 grams flour
- 150 grams sugar
- 100 milliliters extra-virgin olive oil
- 500 grams cherries (black, in syrup)
- Dissolve the yeast in a small cup of warm water.
- Add the yeast to a bowl with the flour, sugar, oil, and a pinch of salt until it forms a smooth dough. Add more water as necessary. It should be soft and elastic but not sticky.
- Shape into a ball, cover and leave to rise in a warm place for about 2 hours.
- Cut the cherries in half, setting aside the syrup.
- Take the dough and knead for 5 minutes.
- Divide in half and roll out into 2 thick rectangles.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line a rectangular baking tray and sprinkle with olive oil, spread with 1 portion of dough.
- Spread the dough with the chopped cherries, saving some for the garnish.
- Sprinkle with a little syrup, cover with the second portion of dough and seal the edges well.
- Brush with oil, garnish with remaining cherries, sprinkle with syrup and bake for about 45 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with sugar.
PER SERVING *
|Calories720Calories from Fat220|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat220|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.