- 1 pound ground pork
- 3 cups flour (plus more as needed)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 tablespoons butter (cold, cut into small pieces)
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning (McCormicks Grill Mates Smokehouse Maple, optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon marjoram (dried)
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (medium, finely diced)
- 5 tablespoons flour (plus more as needed)
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or more to taste)
- To make the biscuits, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda, pulsing a few times to mix. Add the butter and pulse until it’s the size of small peas. Pour in the milk, pulsing, until incorporated. Pulse 5 more times, then transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface.
- Knead the dough 4 or 5 times, sprinkling with flour as needed. Roll the dough out to 1-inch thick, then use a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter to make 8 biscuits, rekneading and rerolling the scraps as necessary. Arrange the biscuits on the prepared baking sheet and bake until lightly browned, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the gravy: In a large bowl, combine the pork, brown sugar, maple seasoning (if using), salt, black pepper, sage, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, nutmeg and cayenne, stirring to thoroughly combine. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the pork mixture and cook, breaking it up with a spoon or spatula, until no longer pink, 5 to 6 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the milk, increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring to smooth any lumps, until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add more flour as needed to achieve desired consistency. Remove from the heat and stir in the maple syrup. Add more maple syrup, salt and black pepper to taste.
- Split the biscuits and arrange on plates. Spoon the gravy on top and serve.