Biscotti Spelt with Almond, Orange and Cranberries (and chocolate)Ananás e Hortelã
Finely grated orange zest and ground cardamom lend lovely wintry flavors to these Italian biscotti, which are also studded with dried cranberries and sliced almonds. Be sure to remove the log after the first baking when it is just starting to take on color and is still soft to the touch, otherwise it will be too hard to slice without crumbling. Also, use a serrated (or bread) knife to slice the log, using gentle sawing motion.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 orange
- 75 grams butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 100 grams chocolate (70% cocoa)
- 1Preheat oven to 340ºF.
- 2Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- 3Mix the flour with the baking powder, salt and cardamom.
- 4Use an electric mixer to beat the butter with the sugar and orange zest until creamy.
- 5Add the eggs one by one and beat until smooth and creamy.
- 6Add the flour mixture and mix together.
- 7Add the cranberries and almonds and fold into dough using a spatula.
- 8Divide the dough in half and place on prepared pan.
- 9Shape into two loaves measuring about 30 cm x 4 cm.
- 10Bake for about 15 minutes or until lightly golden and still soft to the touch.
- 11Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 20 minutes.
- 12With a serrated knife, cut the loaves into 2 cm thick slices.
- 13Place the slices vertically on the baking sheet and bake at 340ºF for another 15 minutes, until the biscotti are golden and firm.
- 14Transfer to a rack and allow to cool.
- 15Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a double boiler and dip the tips of biscotti. Place on a cooling rack until chocolate hardens.