Finely grated orange zest and ground cardamom lend lovely wintry flavors to these Italian biscotti, which are also studded with dried cranberries and sliced almonds. Be sure to remove the log after the first baking when it is just starting to take o…
color and is still soft to the touch, otherwise it will be too hard to slice without crumbling. Also, use a serrated (or bread) knife to slice the log, using gentle sawing motion.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 oranges
- 75 grams butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup flaked almonds
- 100 grams chocolate (70% cocoa)
- Preheat oven to 340ºF.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Mix the flour with the baking powder, salt and cardamom.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the butter with the sugar and orange zest until creamy.
- Add the eggs one by one and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Add the flour mixture and mix together.
- Add the cranberries and almonds and fold into dough using a spatula.
- Divide the dough in half and place on prepared pan.
- Shape into two loaves measuring about 30 cm x 4 cm.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until lightly golden and still soft to the touch.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 20 minutes.
- With a serrated knife, cut the loaves into 2 cm thick slices.
- Place the slices vertically on the baking sheet and bake at 340ºF for another 15 minutes, until the biscotti are golden and firm.
- Transfer to a rack and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a double boiler and dip the tips of biscotti. Place on a cooling rack until chocolate hardens.