Biscotti is a basic cookie that makes a great accompaniment to your afternoon cup of coffee or tea. In this recipe the dough is studded with walnuts and almonds and accented with orange extract for a bold and delicious flavor. The process of baking the biscotti is what give these cookies their distinctive crunch and ensures they will last for a long time when stored properly, though with the bold flavor in this version it's no guarentee they will make it past the first few days.
- 285 grams flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 170 grams sugar
- 85 grams bread crumbs
- 110 grams almonds (whole)
- 110 grams walnuts (whole)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- chocolate (melted, optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 Celsius.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together. Place into a mixer and add the sugar and bread crumbs. Mix together at low speed. Add the almonds and walnuts.
- Mix together the orange juice, orange extract, vanilla, 2 eggs and 1 egg yolk (set aside the leftover egg white) in a separate bowl. Add to the dry ingredients gradually. Mix together until a firm dough is formed.
- Remove the dough from the mixture and divide into two parts. Form each into log 40 centimeters in length. Place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Whisk the remaining egg yolk together with a pinch of salt and brush the logs with the mixture. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 1 hour.
- Cut the logs diagonally to slice into biscotti, each should be no thicker than 1 centimeter. Place onto baking sheets and bake at 190 C until lightly golden, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool completely and drizzle with melted chocolate, if desired.
- Keep in a sealed container up to 3 months.
PER SERVING *
|Calories60Calories from Fat20|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat20|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.