- 32 ounces crisco
- vegetable oil
- peanut oil
- 4 russet potatoes (medium, about 1-1/4 pounds)
- 5 teaspoons seasoning mix (prepared barbecue)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt (or table salt)
- HEAT oil, in 4-quart saucepan or deep fryer (375º F). Scrub potatoes, remove deep eyes and blemishes from skin. Cut a slice from both ends of potatoes to start with a flat slicing surface. Slice potatoes thinly, about 1/16-inch, by hand or using a mandoline (manual slicer) or in a food processor, using a 2mm blade. Place slices into a large bowl with enough cold water to cover. Place barbecue seasoning mix and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with metal blade, and pulse several times until particles are of a fine grind for even coating, if necessary.*
- DRAIN water from potatoes. Remove excess water by processing in salad spinner and then blot with paper towels to prevent spattering while frying. Line a 4-quart bowl with paper towels.
- DEEP fry potatoes in 2 to 3 batches, stirring potatoes occasionally, until light golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle hot chips with some of barbecue seasoning mixture; toss to coat evenly. Repeat with remaining potatoes.