- 2 eggs (+ 8 egg yolks)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups ground almonds
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups butter
- 5 cups frozen strawberries (thawed)
- 5 cups frozen raspberries (thawed)
- 1 1/2 cups pomegranate juice
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon powdered gelatin
- Grease a 12 x 15 inch rimmed baking pan. Using your hands, knead the whole eggs, flour, baking powder, almonds, 3/4 cup sugar and 14 tbsp butter to a smooth dough. Roll out to a 12 x 15 inch rectangle and lay in the pan. Chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Prick the pastry all over with a fork and bake for 15 mins. Allow to cool.
- In a blender, purée the strawberries and 2 cups raspberries. Strain through a mesh strainer. Add about 3/4 cup pomegranate juice, so you have about 4 cups liquid. Place in a saucepan with 7 tbsp butter and 1 1/4 cups sugar and bring to a boil. Mix the cornstarch and 3/4 cup pomegranate juice until smooth and stir into the purée. Simmer for 1 min, stirring. Remove from the heat.
- Beat the egg yolks with 5 tbsp hot purée and stir into the remaining purée. Return to the heat and bring to a boil. Spread over the dough and chill for 4-5 hours.
- In a blender, purée 2 cups raspberries and 1/2 cup sugar. Strain through a mesh strainer. Dissolve the gelatin in 3 tbsp of water in a saucepan set over a low heat. Stir in 4 tbsp raspberry purée, then stir into the remaining purée. Spread over the cake and chill for at least 3 hours. Cut into 12 large rectangles, then half into triangles.
PER SERVING *
|Calories320Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.