Simple beet salad that goes well with grilled dishes or picnic fare. Serve with Spicy Cured Pork Loin or Arkansas Slow-Smoked Ham.
- 32 ounces beets (sliced & drained)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard (sweet-hot)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 6 tablespoons walnuts (toasted)
- 6 tablespoons blue cheese (crumbled)
- In a shallow bowl, place beets; set aside. In a small mixing bowl, blend together vinegar, olive oil, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over beets and toss gently; cover and refrigerate for an hour. Line 6 salad plates with romaine leaves, top with layer of beets. Sprinkle each salad plate with 1 tablespoon walnuts and 1 tablespoon blue cheese.