- 4 beets (about the size of a baseball, peeled and cut into 1inch, 2.5cm cubes)
- 3/4 cup unsalted cashews
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons tahini (well-stirred)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 pinches coarse sea salt
- 3/4 cup soy milk (Plain)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Pre-heat the oven to 375F (185C)
- Toss Beets with Olive Oil and season with salt and pepper
- Spread mixture evenly on a baking sheet and place into oven for 45mins - 1hour, the beets should be fork tender
- While beets are in the oven dry fry the cashews till they have some golden color and become fragrant, about 2 minutes, then coarsely chop and set aside.
- Place the roasted beets in a large bowl and smash till have a coarse consistency, you don't want them to be pureed, just not chunky. I used a hand mixer.
- Mix the cashews with the beets. The mixture should be dry enough that you can form it into a ball easily. If the beets are too moist, put them back in the oven for 5 - 10 minutes. You should get 4 balls
- Put balls back in the oven for another 10 minutes till heated through, remove from oven and serve with Tahini Sauce. Garnish with greens and sprouts if desired!
- Tahini Sauce:
- In a mortar and pestal smash garlic with a pinch or two of sea salt, till it forms a paste.
- Add paste to a small sauce pan with the soy milk, whisk over medium-low heat till combined
- Whisk in the cornstarch till you reach the desired consistency and the raw garlic taste is gone.
- Season with salt and pepper, if too thick, add a bit more soy milk.
PER SERVING *
|Calories420Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.