- 6 beets (abt 1 1/2 lbs)
- 1 shallot (roughly chopped)
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- hot pepper sauce (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 6 cornichons (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup capers (drained)
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley (more for garnish)
- salt (to taste)
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Wash the beets and, leaving them wet, wrap them individually in foil. Place in a roasting pan or on a baking sheet and bake until tender, about 1 1/2 hours. (To test, poke a thin-bladed knife through the foil.) Let the beets cool in the foil. (Alternatively, to cook in water, drop the beets into salted water to cover and bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour.)
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel and cut into eighths.
- Place the beets in the bowl of a food processor with the shallot, Worcestershire sauce, a few drops of hot pepper sauce, vinegar, cornichons and capers. Pulse until the mixture is minced but not pureed. You may have to scrape the mixture down between pulses.
- Spoon the mixture into a bowl and stir in the mayonnaise and parsley. Taste and adjust the seasonings; you may need to add salt and pepper and more vinegar, Worcestershire or hot sauce. (This dish keeps well up to 2 days. Refrigerate, keeping it well wrapped or in a covered container, and bring to room temperature before serving.) Garnish and serve with steamed fish.
PER SERVING *
|Calories140Calories from Fat20|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat20|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.