Beets make a delicious side dish for just about any protein, be it meat, fish, or fowl. Here the beets are peeled first and then boiled until knife tender. A food processor makes fast work of cutting them into strips. They pair particularly well with cherry tomatoes and cottage cheese (or quark) for a sort of slaw, with a sprinkling of cilantro and a drizzle of olive oil added just before serving.
- 3 beets (large, or 4 smaller)
- 20 cherry tomatoes (minis, or less if larger)
- 4 slices curd cheese
- fresh coriander (to taste)
- coarse salt (to taste)
- balsamic vinegar (to taste)
- virgin olive oil (to taste)
- Boil the beets without the bark in water seasoned with salt.
- Place them in food processor to make strips.
- Place on a serving dish.
- Season with salt, vinegar and olive oil.
- Add the whole cherry tomatoes and cream cheese cubes.
- Sprinkle with fresh cilantro leaves.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil.