The colors of this salad are gorgeous and the flavors work so well together!
- 2 red beets (large, 3” x 2”)
- 2 oranges (peeled and segmented)
- 1 tablespoon orange juice (reserved from the oranges)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (toasted*)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil (thinly sliced)
- Trim ends of beets and insert the skewer into the firm stem end of the beet. Use peeling blade and medium spiralizing blade to peel and spiralize beets. Use kitchen shears or a knife to trim spirals to smaller lengths. Place cut beets in a bowl of cold water. Let soak 30 minutes, changing the water 2-‐3 times. This will lessen the amount the beets bleed onto the other ingredients. Drain beets well and place in a large bowl.
- Combine the orange juice, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk in the olive oil (or shake all in a small jar.) Toss half the dressing with the beets. Add the orange segments, Gorgonzola, walnuts and half the basil. Toss gently. Add more dressing as needed. Sprinkle with remaining basil and serve.