- 2 pounds baking potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 2 onions (large, 1 thinly sliced into rings, 1 finely diced)
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 3/4 cup milk (warmed)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill (chopped)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup canned beets (drained, finely diced)
- 2 tablespoons capers (chopped)
- 5 eggs
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Cook the potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for about 15 mins until tender. Meanwhile, dust the onion rings with the flour, shaking off the excess.
- Heat 1 inch oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°F. Add the onion rings in batches and fry for 2-3 mins per side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and season with salt. Set aside. Drain the potatoes and set aside 1/2 cup. Mash the remaining potatoes in a medium bowl with the milk and butter. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the dill. Cover to keep warm.
- Mash the 1/2 cup reserved potatoes in a large bowl. Mix in the ground beef, diced onion, beets, capers and 1 egg. Season with salt and pepper, then knead until combined. Form into 8 small patties. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, add the patties in batches and cook for about 5 mins per side for medium doneness.
- Meanwhile, bring a large skillet of water to a boil and add the vinegar. Slide in the eggs one at a time and reduce the heat to a simmer. Poach for 3-4 mins, then remove using a slotted spoon. Divide the mashed potatoes among four plates and top each with two burgers and a poached egg. Garnish with the fried onions and serve.
|Calories660Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.