- 22 grams fresh yeast (or 1 tsp dried)
- 600 grams strong white bread flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 250 grams beetroot (grated)
- Dissolve the yeast in 1 2/3 cups of lukewarm water. In a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt, then add the yeast water and olive oil and knead into a smooth dough. Place in a bowl, cover and leave to rise for 1 hour in a warm place. When doubled in size, turn the dough out onto a floured surface together with the grated beets and knead again until fully combined. Cover and leave to rise again for 1 hour. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface again and shape into a ball. Place in a proofing basket (a basket or colander lined with linen or heavy cotton) and leave to rise a third time for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Heat oven to 475°F. Carefully turn the dough out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spray the inside of the oven with water and bake. After 15 mins turn the temperature down to 425°F and bake for 15-20 more mins. Cool on a wire rack.