- 6 large potatoes (unpeeled, cut into wedges)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beer (chilled)
- 4 cups vegetable oil (to deep-fry)
- 1 pound white fish fillets (boneless, firm, cut into 2 inch pieces)
- lemon wedges (to serve)
- tartar sauce (to serve)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Place potatoes on prepared tray. Drizzle with oil, sprinkle with paprika. Toss to coat. Bake 40 mins or until tender and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, place flour in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in beer until smooth. Season. Cover with plastic wrap. Chill 30 mins.
- In a large heavy-based saucepan, heat oil (oil is ready when a cube of bread crisps quickly without absorbing oil). Dip fish pieces into batter to coat. Shake off excess. Deep-fry fish, in batches, for 4-5 mins or until cooked and golden. Drain on paper towels. Reheat oil between batches.
- Serve with potatoes, lemon wedges and tartar sauce.