- 2 1/4 cups beer batter (see recipe)
- shrimp (1 1/2 pounds med.)
- oil (for deep frying)
- tartar sauce (see recipe)
- Prepare the beer-batter base at least 2 hours in advance. Before using fold in the egg white.
- Heat the oil in a deep fat fryer, wok or skillet to a temperature of about 350-360 degrees. Add shrimp the batter. Lift one shrimp at a time from the batter using the tines of a two pronged fork, and quickly add each shrimp to the oil. The shrimp will rise to the surface. Do not over crowd. As you fry, take care to remove and discard browned bits and pieces of batter that may accumulate from the drippings. Let one batch cook, stirring 2 or 3 minutes or until golden brown and crisp all over. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot with tartar sauce for dripping. Yields 52-56 shrimp.