- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions (medium, peeled and sliced)
- 700 grams white cabbage (cut into thin strips)
- 500 grams potatoes (peeled and sliced)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 200 milliliters semi-skimmed milk
- 150 milliliters vegetable stock
- 1 pinch paprika
- 400 grams chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 lemon (grated zest)
- 30 grams fresh flat leaf parsley (chopped)
- 2 slices white bread (torn into pieces and soaked in cold water)
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and crushed)
- 500 grams beef mince
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onions and cabbage, cover and simmer over medium heat for 20 mins. Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 5 mins. Drain and allow to cool.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 mins. Gradually stir in the milk and stock. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 mins. Season with salt, black pepper and paprika. Add the tomatoes, lemon zest and half of the parsley. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 10 mins.
- To make the meatballs, squeeze out the bread and mix with the eggs, garlic and ground beef. Season with salt and black pepper and shape into small balls.
- Spoon one-third of the sauce into a shallow 13 x 9 inch ovenproof serving dish and distribute the cabbage in heaps on top. Distribute the meatballs and potato slices in the spaces between the cabbage heaps. Spread the remaining sauce on top. Bake for 30-40 mins, until golden brown and bubbling. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley to serve.
|Calories690Calories from Fat340|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat340|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.