- 3 pounds beef chuck roast (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 2 tablespoons flour (all-purpose)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 onions (medium, coarsely chopped)
- 2 cups beef broth (divided)
- 5 cloves garlic (coarsely chopped)
- 22 3/8 ounces Guinness Beer
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 carrots (yield 2 1/4 cups, chopped in 1/2-inch rounds)
- 3 stalks celery (yield 1 1/2 cups, chopped in 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (minced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
PER SERVING *
|Calories490Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Paulie 7 Oct
Excellent! I chopped up a sirloin tip roast as I am not familiar with the chuck roast terminology. The gravy within the stew was superb, which is what it always comes down to! I add Pearl Barley to my beef stews, and it helps thicken the gravy a bit too!
Debbie A. 23 Mar
We have tried many Irish stew recipes but we like this one the best Having the potatoes separately allows you to put a bed of mashed potatoes underneath Delicious
Daryani Hartline 1 Mar
Great!! Try with a teaspoon or so less tomato paste and it comes out perfectly, hearty and so flavorful!
Chris Ruffner 28 Feb
Yummy! Everyone loved it
Eric 24 Jan
Amazing, rich, delicious! Definitely going to be making this one over and over again!
Ida 8 Dec 2017
Unbelievably delicious will make again!
Ana H. 8 Nov 2017
It turned out amazing, I did change the reg stout to a chocolate stout and did use less beer and more broth. Nevertheless it turned out delicious
Gabe Anderson 6 Nov 2017
Easy recipe, turned out great! I added potatoes, three TBSP apple cider vinegar, and a touch of sugar; left out the celery; and slow cooked a couple extra hours to match the recipe with the kind of stew I had in mind when I began looking at recipes. The Guiness flavor is terrific, the beef melts in your mouth, and it is very easy to follow - 5 stars!
Paul 24 Sep 2017
Great I did add a couple beef bullion cubes though
asc100 26 Aug 2017
Family loved it! Will make it again.
Silver Harthern 31 Mar 2017
it was absolutely amazing! I'm making again tonight with some substitutions ;3 Can't wait! it'll be so good, I know it~