- 1 stick butter
- 2 1/4 pounds beef (diced)
- 1 1/2 pounds onions (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon tomato purée
- 1 cup dark beer
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 pound potatoes (peeled)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 ounces semolina
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley (cut into strips)
- To make the stew, melt half of the butter in a casserole dish and fry the beef in portions until browned. Remove from the pan and season with salt and black pepper. Add the onions and carrots to the pan and fry for 3 mins. Return the beef to the pan and sprinkle with 2 tbsp flour. Stir in the tomato purée and fry for 2 mins. Add the beer and stock and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 1 hour 30 mins, stirring regularly.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 20 mins. Drain and press through a potato ricer. Season with salt and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Knead the semolina, egg, half of the remaining butter and 3/4 cup of flour with the dough hook of a mixer. Transfer to a lightly floured work surface and, with floured hands, knead in the potatoes. Shape into 8 dumplings and cook in boiling salted water over a low-medium heat for 15 mins. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl.
- In a frying pan, heat the remaining butter until foamy. Stir in the parsley and pour over the dumplings. Serve with the stew.
|Calories1080Calories from Fat570|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat570|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.