- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces portobellos (baby, cleaned, finely sliced)
- 6 shallots (peeled, finely diced)
- 1 sprig fresh thyme leaves (chopped)
- 2 pounds beef tenderloin
- 10 ounces frozen puff pastry (thawed)
- 2 egg yolks (whisked with 3 tbsp water)
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Sauté mushrooms and shallots until liquid evaporates. Season and sprinkle with thyme. Meanwhile, in a separate pan, heat remaining oil over high heat. Sear beef for 8-12 mins, until browned on all sides. Season then remove from pan and let cool.
- Roll 1/2 of puff pastry out into a 18x9 inch rectangle. Cut 3-4 thin strips (around 1/3 inch wide) from short side of rectangle. Roll out remaining dough into a 14 inch square. Spread mushroom mixture over smaller square, leaving a 1 inch margin. Place beef tenderloin in center.
- Brush edges with egg yolk then drape larger piece of puff pastry over top. Press puff pastry firmly into sides and seal edges, crimping with a fork. Brush with remaining egg yolk then place pastry strips in a lattice pattern over top. Brush with egg yolk. Chill for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F. Place beef on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake for 15 mins. Reduce heat to 350°F and bake for 25 mins (internal temperature should be 145°F). Let rest for 10 mins then slice.
|Calories810Calories from Fat480|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat480|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Julie Galle 22 Dec 2018
Fantastic!! Making this every year for Christmas
Mary Runion 21 Oct 2018
We weren't a fan of the mushrooms and ham. also, ours was not as medium rare as the picture. It was more well done. But it wasnt bad for my first attempt.
Nicholas 2 Feb 2018
Loved this. Came out great and was a huge hit as Christmas main course
Michelle 26 Dec 2017
It turned out great! We made it for Christmas dinner and it was enjoyed by all