- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 shallots (finely chopped)
- 2 slices sourdough bread (crusts removed, toasted and chopped)
- 2 ounces anchovies (well drained, finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 stems thyme leaves (stripped)
- 1 tablespoon baby capers (drained)
- 1 beef tenderloin (about 3 1/2 lbs)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups beef stock
- tomato paste
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Cook shallots, stirring, for 5 mins, until softened and lightly browned. Transfer to a bowl. Add bread, anchovies, parsley, thyme, capers and 1 tbsp of the oil. Mix well and season.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Trim silver skin from beef. Butterfly beef by slicing lengthwise, two-thirds of way through (almost but not quite in half) so beef opens like a book. Cover with plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet to 1 inch thickness.
- Spoon stuffing along length of one half of beef. Fold beef over and tie at 1 inch intervals with kitchen string to secure. Season well. Heat remaining 2 tbsp oil in a roasting pan on high heat. Cook beef, turning, for 5 mins, until browned all over.
- Transfer to oven and roast for 15-20 mins for medium-rare, or until cooked to desired doneness. Transfer beef to a platter, cover loosely with foil and let stand for 15 mins before carving.
- For the gravy, place roasting pan with cooking juices on medium heat. Bring to a boil. Whisk in flour. Reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring, until browned, without burning. Remove from heat. Slowly add beef stock, stirring constantly until combined.
- Bring gravy to a boil on medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 3 mins, stirring, until thickened slightly. Season. Add chopped herbs, a dash of Worcestershire sauce or a little tomato paste. Serve with beef.