- 2 1/4 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 black peppercorns
- 1 clove garlic (sliced)
- 1 parsley root (or small turnip, cubed)
- 3 carrots (cubed)
- 1 celery (small, cubed)
- 1 onion (medium, diced)
- 1 1/4 pounds potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 1 1/4 pounds savoy cabbage (chopped)
- 1 leek (sliced)
- In a large pot, cover beef with water. Bring to a boil, cover then simmer for about 1 hour, removing any foam as necessary. Add bay leaf, peppercorns, garlic, parsley root (or turnip, if using), 1 carrot, celery and onion, cover and simmer for an additional 1 hour.
- Remove meat and chop into bite-sized pieces. Strain broth into a clean pot, add remaining raw vegetables and chopped beef. Cook for another 30 mins, season and serve.