- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 pound button mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup semi-skimmed milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 12 ounces gherkins (pickled, drained, vinegar reserved, sliced)
- 6 slices beef top round (about 1/4 inch thick; 2 slices halved)
- 6 slices bacon (; 2 slices cut into strips)
- fresh oregano (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Sauté 1/3 of the mushrooms until browned. Remove from the pan and repeat twice with the remaining oil and mushrooms. Add the onion to the final batch of mushrooms and sauté until softened.
- Set aside 3 tbsp of the mushroom and onion mixture. Add the remaining sautéed mushrooms to the pan, along with the dried oregano. Sprinkle with the flour and cook for 2 mins. Add the milk and sour cream and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 mins. Stir in the mustard and 2 tbsp gherkin vinegar. Season with salt and black pepper. Stir in the sliced gherkins and remove from the heat.
- Place 1 1/2 slices of beef in the bottom of a baking dish. Top with 1/4 of the bacon strips and 1/4 of the sauce and season with salt and black pepper. Repeat 3 times. Lay the remaining bacon slices on top.
- Bake for 30 mins. Cover with foil. Bake for 1 hour 20 mins. Remove the foil and sprinkle with the reserved onion and mushroom mixture. Bake for 10 mins. Garnish with fresh oregano.
|Calories330Calories from Fat260|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat260|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.