This dish is the epitome of home cooking. As soon as you catch the aroma, you'll be swiftly reminded of those nights when mom would cook a special dinner for the family. The garlic, rosemary, and brown sugar give hints that this lasagna is full of strong flavor profiles that compliment each other extremely well. If you're not already sold on the mere word "lasagna", just know that you will be wooed by the creamy mozarella that makes an appearance in each layer. As they say in Italy: "Mange! Mange!"
- 2 kilograms beef shoulder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onions (cut into cubes)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 375 milliliters red wine
- 500 milliliters beef broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 rosemary (stems)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ground black pepper
- 1 package lasagna sheets
- 2 mozzarella balls
- 120 grams butter
- 75 grams flour
- 1.5 liters milk
- 160 grams cheese (country or Parmesan type)
- This is the original recipe, but in the picture only half the sauce was used, without putting cheese sauce on top of the lasagna.
- Make the whole recipe if you want sauce between each layer.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Heat pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, add the meat, brown on all sides.
- Remove the meat, and pour in second tablespoon of olive oil, add onion and garlic, and cook stirring for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Put the meat back in the casserole, pour in wine and broth, add tomatoes, bay leaf, rosemary, and sugar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook in the oven for 3 to 3 1/2 hours, the meat should be tender.
- Using 2 forks, separate the meat into small pieces and leave them in the cooking sauce.
- Prepare cheese sauce by melting the butter in a saucepan, mix in flour, then gradually stir in the milk: Mix until the sauce thickens, finally adding 120 grams of cheese, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Cut the mozzarella into thin slices.
- In an oiled dish, place a layer of lasagna, cover with the meat/tomato mixture, arrange half of the mozzarella, and (1/3 of the cheese sauce if you wish).
- Cover with lasagna and mixture of meat/tomato, mozzarella and (1/3 cheese sauce).
- Finish with a final layer of lasagna and cheese sauce.
- Add the remaining grated cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the lasagna is golden.
PER SERVING *
|Calories590Calories from Fat340|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat340|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.