- 2 cups vegetable broth (reduced-sodium)
- 1 cup bulgur (uncooked)
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can chickpeas (15 oz, drained and rinsed)
- 15 cherry tomatoes (diced)
- 2 red bell peppers (deseeded and chopped)
- 1/2 cucumber (peeled and chopped)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil (chopped)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion (finely diced)
- 1 red chile pepper (minced)
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves (chopped)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- lemon zest (for garnish)
- Bring the broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from the heat. Stir in the bulgur, hot pepper sauce, 1/2 tsp cumin and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and let stand for 20 mins until tender.
- In a large bowl, mix together the chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumber, half the parsley and half the basil. Fold in the bulgur, then mix in the olive oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the ground beef, onion, chile pepper, mint, egg and breadcrumbs. Add the remaining parsley, basil and cumin and season with salt and pepper. Mix until combined, then form into 12 oval-shaped kofta meatballs. Heat the vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the koftas and cook for 12-15 mins until browned and cooked through. Divide the bulgur salad and koftas among four plates. Garnish with the lemon zest and serve.
|Calories760Calories from Fat360|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat360|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.