- 1/2 onion (medium, diced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic clove (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon dark cocoa powder (Hershey’s special, 100% cacao)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground clove
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper (freshly)
- 14 ounces diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 1 package Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets (frozen, thawed)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 tablespoon water
- sauce (Romesco)
- In medium skillet over medium heat, cook onion until softened – 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add garlic, coco, cumin, cinnamon & clove; Stir the mixture to combine & becomes fragrant – 1 minute.
- Add ground beef & cook until no longer pink while breaking up lumps with a spoon – 5 minutes.
- Add raisins, salt, black pepper, oregano & tomatoes with reserved juice; Stir to combine & cook until liquid is reduced but mixture is still moist – 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat & let cool – 15 minutes.
- Assembling the empañadas: Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, add egg and water; Whisk to combine.
- Unfold the puff pastry dough & lightly press to flatten the seams. Cut the dough into four equal squares. Repeat process with second puff pastry sheet.
- Spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons of beef mixture in the middle of each square. Lightly brush egg wash mixture to moisten edges of the dough & fold over to form a triangle. Seal & crimp edges with a fork.
- Place triangles on the prepared baking sheet & brush tops with egg wash.
- Bake until golden brown – 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve with a Spanish Romesco sauce.
|Calories150Calories from Fat90|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat90|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.